March 31, 2015

Tidbit Tuesday: Gunshots and Bird Brains



Good afternoon, fellow word lovers!  It's Tuesday!  On this blog, Tuesday means I'll be posting a tidbit of writing from either my own story, or a story I'm currently reading.    

For my very first Tidbit Tuesday, since I haven't had the chance to do much reading lately, I'm going to post a bit of my own writing.  Aaaand, in honor of The Iridian Dagger going to print this week, I'm going to post a scene including two of my favorite characters to write with: Samuel Mason and Shane Mitchel!  This is one of their quirkier moments, and it was definitely one of my favorite dialogue exchanges to create.  I hope you enjoy it too...  :) 



Sam and Shane crept over to a large pine tree that was in Shane’s front yard.  They hid and peaked out from behind the branches, waiting for the attacker to make his presence known.  Everything was deathly still, with the only sound coming from the shuffling tree branches that swayed with the gentle summer breeze.  Both men ducked back behind the tree and huddled together. 
“Sam,” Shane whispered, “do you have your revolver?” 
Sam checked his jacket pocket.  “Yep.” 
“Is it loaded?” 
“I doubt it.” 
“Perfect.”  Shane gulped and used his shirt to dab his sweaty forehead.  “Well, at least if I die, I’ll get to die beside my second best friend.” 
Sam turned to Shane and raised his eyebrow.  “Second best?  Who’s your first?” 
Shane sniffed and bit his lower lip.  “My poor, lovely Janice.  I never got to say goodbye.” 
“Oh, your girlfriend?” 
Shane scowled.  “No, that’s ridiculous!  I was talking about my blue and gold macaw.” 
"You can't be serious.  You mean to tell me I rank lower than a bird?  How does that even happen?" 
Shane crossed his arms like a stubborn child.  "You never call.  You never write." 
"Oh, here we go." 
"At least Janice had the decency to chat with me from time to time, even if all she said was 'Polly want a cracker'." 
A gunshot filled the air, and Sam’s eyes grew wide.  “Shane..." 
"I know, I know.  I never understood it either.  I mean, I like crackers and all, but who's this 'Polly' character?" 
Two more gunshots rang out. 
"Shane, stop goofing off.  That sounded like it was near the car!”  Sam exclaimed in a whisper. 
Both men darted out from behind the tree and rushed toward the sound.  When they reached the car, it took them a minute to put the scene together.  James was standing next to the car, holding a handgun that was aimed at the street corner.  In his line of sight, two men were carrying a third to a car parked farther down the road.  They rushed to load their friend into the back seat, and then left in a hurry. 
Sam ran forward.  “James, who was that?” 
James lowered the gun and handed it to Sam.  “I don’t know.  But they weren’t very good shots, they missed me twice.” 
“What about the third gunshot?”  Shane asked. 
“Oh, that was me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment