September 5, 2016

A Walk In My Shoes: What It's Like To Have Social Anxiety



As many of you know, I have struggled with having anxiety for a large portion of my life.  Anxiety comes in many forms, has many sources, and can come with many different symptoms.  My personal struggle is Social Anxiety, which started after several emotionally and mentally traumatic experiences with bullying and rejection.  It's not nearly as severe as many other cases are, but still impacts my daily life.

Allow me to give you a look inside my mind.


First of all Social Anxiety makes many normal tasks more difficult simply because they draw attention in some way.  Things like this make me extremely uncomfortable, and actually cause me to stress and freak out if I'm having a bad enough day.  For example...

I have felt this same way so many times. The relief of getting back to your domain (your seat) and knowing you don't have to do that for a while is amazing. Then you feel it...that inconveniently timed urge to pee...and it all starts again.:

To most people this probably sounds like a ridiculous scenario.  I, on the other hand, read this and reacted by my brain shouting "yes, someone understands!"  Other scenarios include...

Social Anxiety Thing #212 - The internal panic and nervousness you get when you are told to call someone. Even if it's just the pizza guy:


Oh...I guess I must have social anxiety. Because I do all of these. But doesn't everyone? No? Idk:
Just in case a little definition would help you, here are some explanations of Social Anxiety specifically:

I wouldn't wish for my worst enemy to have this.. It sucks.:

I thank the person that put what I feel everyday into words.:

People with Social Anxiety have a variety of coping mechanisms to get through situations that make us uncomfortable.  These coping mechanisms can be a good indicator of whether or not someone you know has anxiety.

Exactly. An older lady said something about me being on my phone yesterday while I was reading an ebook waiting for an appointment. It's so hurtful. It's hard enough for me to sit there without you reinforcing why I'm anxious in the first place:
lost art quote life tumblr text depressed depression sad music quotes words pain anxiety alone broken:

There are several specific things that bother people with anxiety.  Mostly just the fact that we know we shouldn't be afraid, but can't stop the emotion anyway.  Some other things would be...

This x1000!!!  - socialanxietythings:

I really wish people would stop telling me this. Especially my brother. It already sucks enough as it is:

When people look at me I feel so insecure. When they look at me I think the give me dirty looks but I might be imagining and I feel like they laugh at me and I don't understand I don't really have any close friends.:

Just know that, despite my anxiety, I really am trying my best.  Anxiety is the reason I know God is constantly working in my life.  I'm a drama teacher for crying out loud!  Not many people with Social Anxiety can say that they actually get excited to direct a group of teenage actors every week.  But, believe it or not, my anxiety actually has the least amount of impact on me when I'm acting and directing.  It's like I'm a different person, and I know that's God working through me.

I'll leave you with a couple notes.  If you know someone, or multiple someones with Social Anxiety, here are some things to keep in mind.  Just love on us.  Know that we have quirks, and we might not want to be daring all the time.  But, when we do, we'll tell you!  And even if we don't, we still love you!  Don't mistake our quiet tendencies for weakness, anger, or a stuck up attitude.  Often times we have a lot to say, but are quiet because we haven't figured out how to say it yet.

OMG LITERALLY FUCKING SAME!! DO U NO HOW HARD IT IS TO HAV ANY KIND OF RELATIONSHIP WITH SOMEONE WEN U HAV SUCH HIGH LVLS OF ANXIETY? ITS HARD AND THEY NEVER WUTS GOING ON WITH U OR HOW YOU FEEL. THEY NEVER UNDERSTAND THAT THE PROBLEM IS WITH URSELF AND NOT THEM. OMFG IF U SHOWED THIS POST TO ME SOONER I COULD OF SHOWED IT TO EVERY EX FRIEND? BF IVE EVER HAD AND MAYBE THEYD FINALLY UNDERSTAND!!!:

No comments:

Post a Comment